Last posting for final year!

This is a very long post everyone. I hope you'll keep on reading. Lots of bumps on the road, this is crazy...we just go through it and adapt.


Friends through the highs and the lows


Our story begins with some compliments from our lecturers.


"Nice presentation"
"You're doing good this morning"
"Ok very good"
"Good"
"Who's presenting? H. Ok tq H"
"Hmm good!"
"Yes, correct"

And many more...


While me on the other side: Since when my lecturer become like this? He really said it?

One of those strange things that sometimes happen in life when you least expect it.


Everything was ok, until the last day of seminar, on Saturday night week 5. This is where the storm begin. Nobody can save the group that night.

I want to blame the presenters for not preparing well, because I went through their slide and  reminded them to add on what is not enough. But they didn't and came out with a whole pile of excuses.


In the end, presentation was not ended well and guess who to blame?

Me, the group leader. And surgery is way out of my comfort zone.


Broke my heart into pieces when you raised your voice and blamed me. I used to get scolded but this time it hits differently. Along with tongue tied, I can't defend myself hahah.

Not taking it to heart. There were days when lecturers will be on your side, tq.


I asked for his help regarding the vaccination issue. I also seek help from PA Prof A, as she is a part time ppv volunteer. Lastly, I called ppv wisma belia and submitted all the details needed for my classmates. Within 30 mins, all of us who haven't vaccinated received the call and we went there to get the vaccine. Omg how fast and efficient this ppv.


The student who has to call everywhere to get the vaccine, final year some more. By the time management asked us about vaccination status to arrange who haven't vaccinated, all of us have completed the 1st dose. Some have completed the 2nd dose .They were too slow, we settled on our own.


No excuse and can't complaint. With the covid cases keep on increasing (20k currently), I've zero expectation tbh. Just doing my best and graduate. Trying my best not to fall apart.


Study group is such a blessing, like a stress antidote. Life is at its best whenever we discuss cases that might coming in pro exam. 


Whenever feeling blue or just when I needed it the most, some good friends stepped in.


"I need to talk, in the need of your assurance. Just need to hear your voice, nothing else".

"How you doing? I feel lost".

"Anything just tell me. Anywhere anytime!!"


Prof A: Don't worry about Hartal, don't worry about contract, set your goal. Set your direction clear!

Not to forget, we tend to affect the people surrounding whenever stress. Ever feel like this?

My youngest sister knocked the door, while me was having an online class. I was controlling the slide on that time.

So I opened the door with that angry looking face.


Her: Look! I'm wearing the new hoody that you've bought for me!! Beautiful isn't?
Me: What do you want?! I got class.


And I slammed the door. Ignoring her excitement, I feel bad.


"I wanna be free"
"We're not free right now? We're back in college at least."
"Nope. We got many things to do, to cover."


With the current issue,  I feel like I was swimming in an ocean of regret. The only courage that matters is to keep going.


I feel pity for my group and myself. This is tough and need a lot of patience.


Anest posting was just nice. Happiness level was 10/10. Drs are very humble and easy to communicate. It was enjoyable. No need to elaborate further, all of us enjoyed anest posting.


My housemates surprised me for my birthday hahah. So sweet of them...tqsm. They still had time to prepare this stuff? Why so thoughtful... Thanks guys for the pizza, chocolate cake and what a lovely decor. Thanks S for another  chocolate cake and Texas chicken.


Thank you


This is the last year for us, will lost touch with each other  after this. We should celebrate it outside like we used to be. Soon ok, real soon.


You should try to be a leader for surgical posting one fine day. Lecturers are caring, helpful and love to ask questions rather than giving answers because this is where curiosity developed. But you can't run away from stress, it is a compulsory to feel stress. You also should have responsibility to save the group, since you're the leader. I choose to become a group leader for the posting that I really hate during y3. I said this last year when we do a leader group rotation:


"Why would I whatsaap lecturers when the pro exam is around the corner? What a headache. Choose someone else to lead."


Then here I am hahah. I also whatsaap other lecturers including Dato S, Dato K and dr H for vaccination issue and extra class. Lol what a turnover. Meaning to say I always have to face the things that I want to avoid the most.


Hospital Pekan is ok. Went there by bus, and all of us fell asleep on the way back home at 5.30pm. Don't know why, it just happened that way. Tired? Not really sure, but most of us collapsed.

Some of us prefer stairs instead of the lift


Aini, be my chaperone.
Okay.
Pulling curtain, passing hand sanitizer.
You wanna do running commentary or what?
Hahah aini why so serious? I just checking it randomly.
Okk fine.


We followed IM ward round. It was great and Dr S made it looks easy. You should become our IM lecturer, for sure you'll be one of our favourite.

MO: Boss, macam mana nak tarik boss pergi Widad?
Dr S: Hahahaha


One funny thing, we found an interesting case. She came with symptoms of intestinal obstruction.

Classmate: We wanna check your leg after this.
Patient: No need, I feel cold.
Classmate: One minute only. Just to look for any swelling.
Patient: My legs aren't swelling.
Classmate: Ok let me confirm that first!

Guess what? Varicose vein up to mid thigh lol.


We also found another patient for the previous pro exam.

"Sorry if we make you uncomfortable, we check you for million times"
"It 's ok. I used to be examined by students. UIA called me to become one of their patient for exam"
"Really??"

"What about Widad? Did they call you?"
"Yup. Before covid, in 2019"
"Did they call you again recently?"
"No..."


While us feeling disappointed, never mind.


Thank you Dato S for those few bags of rambutan. My manic classmates be like:

"Is there any pizza next time?"
"What about durian?"

Two of us were entering the lift, 5pm already. Two nurses were gosipping our lecturer. All our lecturers are well known, staffs seem to know them very well. I overheard their conversation, it was very funny. Thanks to the mask, it can cover my face expression.


We wanted to go downstairs but didn't realize the lift went upstairs. Without any further delay, we just walked away once the door opened, walked fast a bit and burst out laughing. Then took another lift to go home.


On the next day, that morning hadn't gone  as planned. The worst thing that could possibly happen, happened. I saw some of my classmates discussing something serious at the corner of the ward. I knew immediately that something was wrong because we supposed to follow ward round that morning.


"What is it?"

"We were told to do swab test because the staff nurse and patient in the ward +ve covid, and students like us wandering in the same ward."


I couldn't believe my ears...


While discussing about the swab test, out of sudden my phone rang. It was Dr W.


I'm worried obviously. We only have less than 1 month for pro exam.  The exam date is already fixed. If only you can feel what we feel.

Guess our results, -ve or +ve?


Some of us requested to delay our pro exam.

Dr K: So you want to graduate late? You want to work late?
Us: What's the difference? Still graduate. Still had to cover covid rotation during working.
Dr K: Still you're not fully prepared if we delay your exam until November. What's the difference?
Us: Hahaha ok. Can't argue with that.


Me: What's wrong with that look?
Classmate 1: Nothing, just worried about pro exam.
Classmate 2: Feeling sad knowing the ending is like this.
Classmate 3: This is not our fault. Things just happened that way.


The funny thing, two of my classmates went to the hospital by their own car instead of bus on that day for the 1st time. Just to have free time and can go wherever we want without depend on the bus schedule. End up quarantine.


Next story, all my housemates and I washed our whitecoats the day before. We can't even remember when is the last time we washed our whitecoat, feeling fresh and excited. End up quarantine, no more whitecoat for the time being.


Feeling attacked when I saw Dato S's whitecoat was hanging nicely in his car, while I just folding it in my bag after wearing it the whole day. What a huge difference. Suddenly I remembered how Dr W asked about our dirty whitecoat. Too funny to share it here.


2nd dose vaccine had to postpone because of quarantine. Sigh.


So study group on skype like always. Thanks guys for helping out so much.


I feel relieved because if Dr W asks about study group is functioning or not while looking straight into my face, at least I've an answer, I've done my part.


Please don't blame on me.


1st and 2nd swab -ve. Alhamdulillah, but what a wasting of time, quarantine for the sake of protocol. Our y5 friends from other university also need to self quarantine due to contact with covid patients in the ward. You tell me how to survive like this?


Ignore all the complaining part. Shouldn't be, I know.

Dr  W: Cannot complaint. You choose to be in this field.


Received a bad news just now, which hit me to the core and reminded me to be grateful. Our friend from a different university, he was tested +ve and he can't make it, plus he was a final year like us.


Dato S: You can go to HTAA ward and practice in any ward for pro exam.
Us: For real? But we scared if have to quarantine again or maybe +ve. This is the worst nightmare.

Teamwork mode automatically activated. I started to whatsaap our anest lecturer, Dr S to ask his opinion. We also started to whatsaap our fellow seniors who work at HTAA. You wanna know their answers?


Let me simplified.

"Risk>benefit. We scared you'll get infected."

But actually what's the difference? We also got exposed in Hosp Pekan. Multiple announcements about covid patients were coming, some patients had to transfer to other room due to close contact. Thank god we didn't examine them, we share the same ward.


"Ha korang! Nak kene swab lagi ke? Jarak-jarak sikit."
"Baik dr."


Not so many patients or because today is saturday? Crazy year I must say. We want to go to HTAA to clerk but worried if have to quarantine again. Can we go to HTAA?


Dr P: The answer is NO!



Not the answer we want to hear obviously. Lots of obstacles you see.

That's all... lots of bitter sweet memories.


This is just a crazy tough year, no choice other than to survive. I hope your journey is much easier and better.


I managed to shop online just the night before theory exam for eop. What a happy feeling!


Long case: Sigmoid colon ca
Short case: Left venous ulcer 2° to venous hypertension with cellulitis


Omg my short case. And I'm the only one who get that venous ulcer ok.


Eop done, but still we got extra class to attend. My heart broke again when my lecturer said:


"All this while you're a good leader, but today I change my mind. You can't control your group members."


Ok dr, sorry. Once eop done, I assume I've no responsibility. The leader who has to face the music if any unwanted things happened.


One fine evening, after I reached home from a dismay trip to Pekan,


Dato K: Please call me.


We were discussing the extra class and everything in between. He remembered my name omg, feeling over the moon. His favourite question during O&G posting will be "So what do you think nuraini?"


Online Yassin recitation by zoom 1 week before pro exam... 100 plus participants. Really? Why they're so kind and thoughtful? Tq. Plus my juniors and seniors randomly whatsaap to wish "good luck for your pro exam", they're busy with housemanship but still have time to wish. 


Some of us including me just enter the ACC, whatever. Then during clerking,

"Sekejap ea, nak ambil RTK patient ni jap".

While me wondering inside: Baru nak ambil? Dah 4 hari warded dah. Ni kalau dia tetiba +ve, habis aku.


This is a crazy year. Can't wait to jog around, diet and pampering myself after this.


Dad: Go and look which hospital is ok for your housemanship.
Me: Will look at that later. Let me enjoy this moment first before the next storm hit.

Why everyone want us to work real quick?


Whenever anxious, remember these:

"What it takes to fail you?"
"You're pass until proven otherwise".
"It's hard for us to fail the candidate unless they really deserve it".

Comforting words for us, tq my fellow lecturers.


Just to let you know 23rd September was the last date we sat for pro exam and it was the same date we entered our 1st day for clinical years, during year 3.


Post pro exam at 6.30 pm, I can sleep like a baby after this!


Thank god I didn't get psychiatry or ortho cases, neither my cup of tea nor my strong knowledge.

We are compiling all our 3 short cases and 1 long case with all the bombarded questions. You can ask my male classmate regarding this, he's the person in charge to pass to juniors. Or drop your email in the comment section, will pass it to you.


Tq Dr W and Dr K for the food and advice for housemanship. I wish I can put those pictures here, but never mind. 


While sitting in the living room, my beloved housemate accidentally said: Aini ada blog dr. Dia blogger. Dari y1 dia tulis.

While me was screaming and cursing inside, can you please zip your lip?! 


Lastly, tq dr for all the guidance, knowledge and all the last minute classes. We truly appreciate, always admire your knowledge. Will keep on improving along this long journey.



Comments

  1. Kak.ngah.asma.9518 August 2022 at 15:32

    Happy nya baca bila dah habis pro exam 😍 the best feeling ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul, the best feeling ever. Rasa macam akhirnya aku bebas

      Delete

Post a Comment